Beechwood Beauty Boat Trip

 

30th September 2010

 

On a pleasant Autumn morning some 30 Probus members and guests plus a number of local WI members boarded a coach for Marlow.  After a stop for elevenses, we continued on to Henley, Queen of the Thames, for a long lunch break with plenty of time to explore the riverside and town.  In the afternoon, we drove through Quarry Woods to Cookham and then to Boulters Lock near Maidenhead where we boarded a pleasure cruiser for 'the Beechwood Beauty Boat Trip'.  The cruiser wound its way upstream, where the Thames cuts through the Chiltern Hills, giving beautiful views of the hanging woodlands of Cliveden.  Finally we arrived back at Marlow as the sun was setting and boarded our coach for the return home. 
 
(Click on any image to enlarge in a new window)
 

alt

Arrival at Marlow opposite the Compleat Angler.

 

alt

The River Thames at Marlow.

 

alt

The Grave of Dusty Springfield at Henley.

 

alt

The Chantry House, Henley.  

This important building, Henley's only grade 1 listed structure, has stood in a prominent location near the church and river wharfs for about 500 years.  From the churchyard it appears to have only two storeys but from the riverside a lower storey can be seen (see picture below).  In 1444 the church sold this site but the building was bought back, in memory of Canon John Maul, for use as the Parish Rooms for St Mary's Church in 1922.  The earliest purpose of this building is unknown.  The fine doorframes with four centre arches and hollow spandrels suggest a construction date of about 1500.  Analysis of the timber frame, during conservation work in 2004, has shown that the eaves probably projected to support an overhanging roof.  On the elevation facing the river, there is evidence to suggest a long row of windows on the top storey.

 

alt

The Chantry House from the riverside.

 

alt

Interior of the Chantry House, Henley.

 

alt

Wall panel showing a historical timeline of the Chantry House.

 

alt

The River Thames at Henley.

 

alt

The Leander Club, Henley. 

Founded in 1818, the Leander Club is Britain's oldest surviving rowing club.  Originally based beside the Thames in Putney, London, the Club moved to Henley in 1896.  It's members are drawn from the ranks of distinguished rowers, coaches and those who have served the world of international rowing with distinction.  The club's emblem is a pink hippopotamus!

 

alt

The river Thames upstream of Cliveden.

 

alt

Return to Marlow and the Compleat Angler.

 

alt

The waterfront at Marlow.

 

alt

Evening sunshine spotlighting the waterfront at Marlow.

 

Return to Top

Last Updated on Monday, 16 January 2012 13:13